Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

20 killed militants in Lebanon

20 killed militants in Lebanon

NAHR AL-BARED – At least 20 militants and two Lebanese soldiers were killed in a battle yesterday when fighters from the Fatah al-Islam group tried to flee a Palestinian refugee camp, a security source said.

Ten more fighters were captured when they attempted to escape from the Nahr al-Bared camp in north Lebanon. The army had estimated that 35 active fighters remained in the camp before yesterday, but it was unclear whether all had tried to flee, the source said.There were also a number of wounded militants still inside, he added.An army statement said the militants, who have been fighting for more than three months, made their move in the early hours of the morning.They “attacked army positions in a desperate attempt to flee”, the statement said, urging citizens to contact the army if they encountered suspect individuals.The security source said at least three gunmen from outside the camp had also attacked an army position in order to help the fighters to flee.Security forces patrolled the area, searching orchards and fields, while helicopters hovered overhead in a hunt for any militants who had managed to escape from the camp on the Mediterranean coast.Naval boats patrolled the sea.The fighting at Nahr al-Bared was Lebanon’s worst internal violence since the 1975-1990 civil war.The fighting has killed more than 300 people, including at least 154 soldiers, 120 militants and 42 civilians.Most of the camp’s 40 000 residents fled to a nearby Palestinian refugee camp in the early days of the battle, which erupted on May 20 when the army says Fatah al-Islam attacked its positions near the camp and the northern city of Tripoli.Fatah al-Islam split from a Syrian-backed Palestinian faction last year.It says it shares al Qaeda’s ideology but has no organisational ties to the network.The hardline Sunni Islamist group includes Lebanese, Saudi and Syrian fighters.The fate of Shaker al-Abssi, the Palestinian leader of the group, was unclear.The militants have put up fierce resistance, managing to inflict casualties on the army despite aerial and artillery bombardment.Their wives and children were evacuated from the camp on August 24.Nampa-ReutersThe army had estimated that 35 active fighters remained in the camp before yesterday, but it was unclear whether all had tried to flee, the source said.There were also a number of wounded militants still inside, he added.An army statement said the militants, who have been fighting for more than three months, made their move in the early hours of the morning.They “attacked army positions in a desperate attempt to flee”, the statement said, urging citizens to contact the army if they encountered suspect individuals.The security source said at least three gunmen from outside the camp had also attacked an army position in order to help the fighters to flee.Security forces patrolled the area, searching orchards and fields, while helicopters hovered overhead in a hunt for any militants who had managed to escape from the camp on the Mediterranean coast.Naval boats patrolled the sea.The fighting at Nahr al-Bared was Lebanon’s worst internal violence since the 1975-1990 civil war.The fighting has killed more than 300 people, including at least 154 soldiers, 120 militants and 42 civilians.Most of the camp’s 40 000 residents fled to a nearby Palestinian refugee camp in the early days of the battle, which erupted on May 20 when the army says Fatah al-Islam attacked its positions near the camp and the northern city of Tripoli.Fatah al-Islam split from a Syrian-backed Palestinian faction last year.It says it shares al Qaeda’s ideology but has no organisational ties to the network.The hardline Sunni Islamist group includes Lebanese, Saudi and Syrian fighters.The fate of Shaker al-Abssi, the Palestinian leader of the group, was unclear.The militants have put up fierce resistance, managing to inflict casualties on the army despite aerial and artillery bombardment.Their wives and children were evacuated from the camp on August 24.Nampa-Reuters

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News