Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Telecom Namibia seals deal to enter Angola

Telecom Namibia seals deal to enter Angola

TELECOM Namibia yesterday officially announced its entry into the budding Angolan telecommunications market, with the acquisition of a 44 per cent stake in Mundo Startel.

The deal, which was sealed in Luanda on Wednesday, will see Telecom invest US$14 million (N$91 million) over three years. Mundo Startel will enter a market still recovering from the ravages of war where current telecommunications provider, Angola Telecom, has experienced expansion difficulties, head of the Telecom Namibia negotiations team, Wessel van der Vyver, said.Four additional licences have been issued.Wesatel, Telicel and Mundo Startel are setting themselves up to begin operations, he said.Angola has close to 18 million people.The other 56 per cent of the Mundo Startel is owned by private concerns in Angola, namely Mundo Telecommunications, Banco Commercial Angolano, Jembas Technical Assistance Lda, Manuel Joao Carneiro and Nazare de Jesus Fransisco.”The operating company, Mundo Startel’s headquarters will be situated in Luanda.It will be governed by a board of directors consisting of four directors from the Angolan side and three directors from Telecom Namibia.Manual Carneiro (head of Mundo Telecommunications) has been elected as the Chairman of the board,” said Titus Haimbili, Chairman of Telecom.Telecom MD, Frans Ndoroma, said the venture, “will be a free-standing company structure with its own managing director, technical manager and financial manager who will be drawn from Telecom Namibia and designated to the Angolan operations for a period of five years.Other managers for the company will be provided from the Angola side”.Van der Vyver said Mundo Startel will start with a network roll-out plan in line with the licensing requirements which will cover Luanda and Lobito province in the first year and spread through the other provinces to cover the whole country within two years.The company is expected to employ 70 Angolans, he added.Ndoroma said that due to Angola’s challenging geography the new company will concentrate on installing next generation networks, VSAT and wireless digital technology instead of digging ditches and putting up telephone poles.Ndoroma also explained that this venture signified the first step in Telecom Namibia’s strategic intent to penetrate the SADC market.Mundo Startel will enter a market still recovering from the ravages of war where current telecommunications provider, Angola Telecom, has experienced expansion difficulties, head of the Telecom Namibia negotiations team, Wessel van der Vyver, said.Four additional licences have been issued.Wesatel, Telicel and Mundo Startel are setting themselves up to begin operations, he said.Angola has close to 18 million people.The other 56 per cent of the Mundo Startel is owned by private concerns in Angola, namely Mundo Telecommunications, Banco Commercial Angolano, Jembas Technical Assistance Lda, Manuel Joao Carneiro and Nazare de Jesus Fransisco.”The operating company, Mundo Startel’s headquarters will be situated in Luanda.It will be governed by a board of directors consisting of four directors from the Angolan side and three directors from Telecom Namibia.Manual Carneiro (head of Mundo Telecommunications) has been elected as the Chairman of the board,” said Titus Haimbili, Chairman of Telecom.Telecom MD, Frans Ndoroma, said the venture, “will be a free-standing company structure with its own managing director, technical manager and financial manager who will be drawn from Telecom Namibia and designated to the Angolan operations for a period of five years.Other managers for the company will be provided from the Angola side”.Van der Vyver said Mundo Startel will start with a network roll-out plan in line with the licensing requirements which will cover Luanda and Lobito province in the first year and spread through the other provinces to cover the whole country within two years.The company is expected to employ 70 Angolans, he added.Ndoroma said that due to Angola’s challenging geography the new company will concentrate on installing next generation networks, VSAT and wireless digital technology instead of digging ditches and putting up telephone poles.Ndoroma also explained that this venture signified the first step in Telecom Namibia’s strategic intent to penetrate the SADC market.

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News