Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Iraq hostage crisis unites France on law

Iraq hostage crisis unites France on law

PARIS – French critics and defenders of a ban on Muslim headscarves in schools united in support of the law yesterday, pledging to stand firm against militants holding two French journalists hostage in Iraq who want the law revoked.

As French foreign minister Michel Barnier arrived in Egypt for talks with regional contacts aimed at securing the release of Christian Chesnot and Georges Malbrunot, France said the ban would be in place when school resumes on Thursday. “It will be applied,” government spokesman Jean-Francois Cope told Canal Plus television.The Islamic Army in Iraq gave France 48 hours to revoke the controversial ban, but did not specify what would happen when the deadline ended last night.The foreign ministry said its secretary-general, Hubert Colin de Verdiere, left for Baghdad on Sunday night for separate talks aimed at securing the release of the hostages.- Nampa-Reuters”It will be applied,” government spokesman Jean-Francois Cope told Canal Plus television.The Islamic Army in Iraq gave France 48 hours to revoke the controversial ban, but did not specify what would happen when the deadline ended last night.The foreign ministry said its secretary-general, Hubert Colin de Verdiere, left for Baghdad on Sunday night for separate talks aimed at securing the release of the hostages.- Nampa-Reuters

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News