Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Darfur rebels threaten to quit peace accord

Darfur rebels threaten to quit peace accord

EL FASHER – The only rebel leader to have endorsed the Darfur Peace Agreement threatened to pull out of the deal geared at ending three years of war if the international community does not move to support him fast.

Minni Minnawi, who heads the Sudan Liberation Movement, was the only one of three rebellion leaders to sign the peace deal last month with the Sudanese government. “The responsibility for the peace cannot remain on my sole shoulders,” Minnawi said in an Associated Press interview late on Friday.He warned that the peace agreement could “collapse soon” if the international community failed to send a United Nations peacekeeping force to this remote region of western Sudan.”If I don’t see support from the international community, I will return to the bush and the fighting will continue,” Minnawi said.He declined to specify when this could occur.He accused the government of neighbouring Chad of supporting the Darfur rebel groups that refused the peace deal and attack his troops since.”The (Sudanese) government, all the embassies in Khartoum, have evidence that Chad is sending funds, equipment and troops to north Darfur, it is unacceptable,” Minnawi said.More than 180 000 people have died and over 2,5 million been displaced in the Darfur conflict, which broke out in 2003 between rebel groups and pro-government forces and has been described as the worst current humanitarian crisis.The peace deal signed May 5 between Minnawi and Khartoum plans for a complete ceasefire between rebels and government forces – including a pro-government militia of Arab nomads known as the Janjaweed that is blamed for most of the atrocities against ethnic African villagers.Dissident SLM leader Abdelwahid Elnur – along with the Justice and Equality Movement, another guerrilla group – refused to sign the accord, saying it did not fairly compensate refugees.- Nampa-AP”The responsibility for the peace cannot remain on my sole shoulders,” Minnawi said in an Associated Press interview late on Friday.He warned that the peace agreement could “collapse soon” if the international community failed to send a United Nations peacekeeping force to this remote region of western Sudan.”If I don’t see support from the international community, I will return to the bush and the fighting will continue,” Minnawi said.He declined to specify when this could occur.He accused the government of neighbouring Chad of supporting the Darfur rebel groups that refused the peace deal and attack his troops since.”The (Sudanese) government, all the embassies in Khartoum, have evidence that Chad is sending funds, equipment and troops to north Darfur, it is unacceptable,” Minnawi said.More than 180 000 people have died and over 2,5 million been displaced in the Darfur conflict, which broke out in 2003 between rebel groups and pro-government forces and has been described as the worst current humanitarian crisis.The peace deal signed May 5 between Minnawi and Khartoum plans for a complete ceasefire between rebels and government forces – including a pro-government militia of Arab nomads known as the Janjaweed that is blamed for most of the atrocities against ethnic African villagers.Dissident SLM leader Abdelwahid Elnur – along with the Justice and Equality Movement, another guerrilla group – refused to sign the accord, saying it did not fairly compensate refugees. – Nampa-AP

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News