Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Fritz off hook in fraud case

Fritz off hook in fraud case

FORMER Namibian Police Deputy Inspector General Fritz Nghiishililwa walked out of court a free man on Tuesday, when a fraud case brought against him eight months ago was dropped.

Charges of fraud, forgery, uttering and attempted fraud against Nghiishililwa were all withdrawn by Magistrate Valmary van Rooi on Tuesday, when she denied a request for a third postponement by State prosecutor Petrus Grusshaber. Nghiishililwa’s defence lawyer, Richard Metcalfe, asked the court not to entertain the prosecution’s request for a postponement to July 21.The case had already been postponed on November 21 last year, and again on March 8.While the prosecution asked for a postponement for further investigation into the case, the court found that no progress had been made in the Police investigation since March 14.”The State must get its house in order,” Metcalfe said in response to the State’s request.”The State cannot just accuse someone and throw accusations around,” Metcalfe said, saying that this was especially dangerous in this case, as his client had a high standing in society.Nghiishililwa is currently the deputy dean of the Justice Faculty at the University of Namibia.On November 21 last year, Nghiishililwa was arrested and charged with defrauding the Guardian Fund, a statutory fund administered by the Master of the High Court which deals with money inherited by minors.In this case, the beneficiaries were Nghiishililwa’s two daughters, Tuliameni (17) and Maria (15).He was alleged to have defrauded the fund to the tune of N$25 571,10 by claiming this money for orthodontic work done on Tuliameni, although his medical aid had already paid the bill.While acknowledging that he had submitted this claim to the fund, and that his medical aid had in fact paid the orthodontist for the services rendered, Nghiishililwa argued that he was within his rights to claim the money from the fund, as he incurred a monthly expense for medical aid fund membership.”The Master has the discretion to approve or disapprove a claim, or ask for a refund in case wrong payment was made,” he stated in a letter to The Namibian earlier this year.He denied claims that he had submitted fraudulent receipts to the Master of the High Court in his submissions.Nghiishililwa’s defence lawyer, Richard Metcalfe, asked the court not to entertain the prosecution’s request for a postponement to July 21.The case had already been postponed on November 21 last year, and again on March 8.While the prosecution asked for a postponement for further investigation into the case, the court found that no progress had been made in the Police investigation since March 14.”The State must get its house in order,” Metcalfe said in response to the State’s request.”The State cannot just accuse someone and throw accusations around,” Metcalfe said, saying that this was especially dangerous in this case, as his client had a high standing in society.Nghiishililwa is currently the deputy dean of the Justice Faculty at the University of Namibia.On November 21 last year, Nghiishililwa was arrested and charged with defrauding the Guardian Fund, a statutory fund administered by the Master of the High Court which deals with money inherited by minors.In this case, the beneficiaries were Nghiishililwa’s two daughters, Tuliameni (17) and Maria (15).He was alleged to have defrauded the fund to the tune of N$25 571,10 by claiming this money for orthodontic work done on Tuliameni, although his medical aid had already paid the bill.While acknowledging that he had submitted this claim to the fund, and that his medical aid had in fact paid the orthodontist for the services rendered, Nghiishililwa argued that he was within his rights to claim the money from the fund, as he incurred a monthly expense for medical aid fund membership.”The Master has the discretion to approve or disapprove a claim, or ask for a refund in case wrong payment was made,” he stated in a letter to The Namibian earlier this year.He denied claims that he had submitted fraudulent receipts to the Master of the High Court in his submissions.

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News