Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Back to drawing board for Govt fisheries employment programme

Derek Klazen

The ministers of fisheries and marine resources and labour, industrial relations and employment creation have decided to review the government’s employment redress programme (Gerd).

This decision came after the ministries had a consultation meeting with ex-fishermen and their employers at Walvis Bay on Thursday.

Fisheries minister Derek Klazen on Friday said the exercise is a first for Namibia and comes with trials.

He said the meeting also revealed there were initially fewer than 2 000 ex-fishermen in the group who lost their jobs, but more have joined the group, claiming they were among the Okapale fishermen.

“About 500 people resigned from Cavema Fishing. There were also workers from Pemba Bay, a vessel that was not working any more.

“We also had 450 factory workers, consisting of women and men under the care of the National Fishing Corporation of Namibia (Fishcor).

“Together we had more than 1 000 employees. When the expression of interest with companies went out, we tried to put the women in factories.

“This group embarked on a mass demonstration and handed petitions to these companies and the ministry, of which responses were given onThursday.

“We usually talk to the fishermen committees, but we wanted to meet with the workers themselves,” Klazen said.

He said the companies under the programme were asked to employ the group on boats, at factories or in any job related to the fishing industry, and were allocated quotas according to negotiations and agreement with the ministry on a certain rate.

“What we realised is that the rate is not sufficient for the companies to charter or buy their own boats. The companies realised that although they need boats, it does not make economic sense to bring in boats, because the amount of quota they received is not enough,” the minister said.

Klazen said some companies also complained that their quota only allows them to pay employees a certain salary, with some fishermen paid while not working because of the unavailability of vessels and factories.

“The fishermen are unhappy that they only earn about N$4 000 or N$5 000 when they are home or working at factories, while those on vessels earn about N$16 000 plus some benefits.

“There are not enough boats. They are called when positions arise and are working on a rotation basis. We will go back and discuss our findings and renegotiate with the companies.

“We cannot live with this unhappiness. I ask the affected people to give us an opportunity to get our findings together and work on strategies,” Klazen said.

He commended the participating companies for trying hard to make the programme work, but noted that the ministry has the right to withdraw its agreement with those who are failing to perform, and to consider which companies provide proper employment.

Labour minister Utoni Nujoma said the ministries are aware of the fact that all Namibians are entitled to decent work and a decent standard of living.

“We also employ other Namibians. While these ones were striking in 2015, others were employed. It is a challenge for companies to employ these workers now.

“There are not enough resources, and it is impossible for the government to provide more quota. If we had the resources, we could solve the problem overnight.

“The government cannot overlook the scientific findings and end up without resources. The sardines are already wiped out because of overfishing by foreign trawlers.

“If we are not careful with hake and horse mackerel, the same will happen. We probably have to look at companies with available fishing boats and consider them,” he said.

Participating companies were warned not to victimise the workers who spoke out.

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News