Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Builders found not guilty

Builders found not guilty

TWO former executive members of the Namibia National Construction Association (Nanca) were acquitted on a charge of assault by threat in the Oshakati Magistrate Court yesterday.

Magistrate Thomas Kanime ruled that the court could find no grounds on which to find them guilty of the charge. Erastus Shatimwene and Thomas Moses were arrested on June 21 2005.The complainant in the case, Simeon Shikulo, laid charges against them after they allegedly threatened to kill members of the Nanca Executive Committee.Shatimwene, Moses and nine other members had been suspended from Nanca in November 2004, allegedly because they wanted to overthrow the Nanca Executive Committee.Shikulu told the court that he encountered Shatimwene, Moses and businessman Erastus Mvula at the Game Shopping Centre on June 15 2005.During this conversation, Shikulu claimed, Moses and Shatimwene threatened to kill the executive members who had suspended them.In court, Shatimwene and Moses denied having made any threatening statements.Defence witness Erastus Mvula corroborated this, saying they had only discussed Nanca financial affairs.In his judgement, Magistrate Kanime said that the State had failed to prove beyond reasonable doubt that there had been a real threat against the complainant, Shikulo, and other mentioned Nanca executive members.Erastus Shatimwene and Thomas Moses were arrested on June 21 2005.The complainant in the case, Simeon Shikulo, laid charges against them after they allegedly threatened to kill members of the Nanca Executive Committee.Shatimwene, Moses and nine other members had been suspended from Nanca in November 2004, allegedly because they wanted to overthrow the Nanca Executive Committee.Shikulu told the court that he encountered Shatimwene, Moses and businessman Erastus Mvula at the Game Shopping Centre on June 15 2005.During this conversation, Shikulu claimed, Moses and Shatimwene threatened to kill the executive members who had suspended them.In court, Shatimwene and Moses denied having made any threatening statements.Defence witness Erastus Mvula corroborated this, saying they had only discussed Nanca financial affairs.In his judgement, Magistrate Kanime said that the State had failed to prove beyond reasonable doubt that there had been a real threat against the complainant, Shikulo, and other mentioned Nanca executive members.

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News