Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Court denies request to split Fishrot trial, plea proceedings to resume in December

Photo: Sacky Shanghala (centre) Photo: Werner Menges

An application for a separation of the Fishrot fraud, corruption and racketeering trial into two separate trials has failed.

Acting judge Moses Chinhengo dismissed the application for a separation of trials in a judgement delivered in the High Court at Windhoek Correctional Facility on Tuesday.

Former minister of justice and attorney general Sacky Shanghala and three other accused in the Fishrot case – James Hatuikulipi, Ricardo Gustavo and Pius Mwatelulo – applied for a separation of trials, claiming they need more time to make efforts to get legal representation for themselves while the trial of their co-accused, who are represented by defence lawyers, can then continue separately.

Chinhengo noted in his judgement that if Shanghala, Hatuikulipi, Gustavo and Mwatelulo cannot secure legal representation, they can bring an application in the High Court to have the Directorate of Legal Aid ordered to provide them with state-funded legal aid. They have chosen not to pursue such an application, though.

Chinhengo also said the four accused have been given reasonable time to obtain legal representation since their lawyers announced their withdrawal from their case about a year ago.

The four accused have had time since early December last year to make arrangements for legal representation, but they have instead been occupied with other applications during the past year, Chinhengo remarked.

He said plea proceedings in the matter must now continue.

The plea proceedings started in early December last year and have been on hold since an ultimately unsuccessful application for Chinhengo to step down from the case interrupted the taking of pleas on 13 December last year.

At the end of his judgement, Chinhengo directed the prosecutors, defence lawyers and unrepresented accused involved in the matter to have a discussion to agree on what date the plea proceedings can continue.

He added that he wants the taking of pleas to be completed by around 10 December, and that the trial can be postponed after that for the hearing of evidence to start.

Chinhengo has so far recorded pleas on four of the 42 charges faced by the 10 individual accused in the matter. Pleas of not guilty were noted on all four charges.

The charges are based on allegations that the accused committed fraud, corruption, racketeering and other offences between December 2011 and November 2019, by helping the Icelandic fishing company group Samherji get access to Namibian fishing quotas.

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News