Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Darfur peace talks collapse

Darfur peace talks collapse

ABUJA, Nigeria – Peace talks between the Sudanese government and rebels for Sudan’s bloodied Darfur region have collapsed after three weeks, a rebel faction said yesterday.

“The talks have collapsed already,” said Ahmed Tugod Lissan of the Justice and Equity rebel group. But all sides – Sudan’s government, and Darfur’s two rebel movements – said they would abide by an African Union proposal to wait at least three weeks before any resumption of negotiations.Sudanese foreign minister Mustafa Osman Ismail rejected yesterday a revised UN Security Council draft resolution threatening to consider sanctions on Sudan over the situation in the troubled Darfur region.”This is imbalanced, unfair and we are rejecting it as we rejected the first draft,” Ismail told a news conference Last-round talks late Monday had focused on trying to get both sides to sign an accord on humanitarian access to an estimated 1,2 million refugees from Darfur’s conflict.The partial agreement would have represented the one clear success for the internationally brokered talks.But despite urging from the Nigerian president, Olusegun Obasanjo, who was hosting the talks, rebels of the Justice and Equity Movement said they would not sign the deal on access.”The president just intended to get us to sign the protocol.But for us it doesn’t make sense,” Lissan said.Sudan’s government blamed the rebels for the failure.”If they don’t sign” the humanitarian protocol, “then it’s their responsibility that the talks collapsed,” said Majzoub al-Khalifa Ahmad, one of the Sudanese government’s top negotiators at the talks.Leaders of the other rebel movement, the Sudan Liberation Army, yesterday morning were meeting privately about whether their faction would sign the humanitarian accord, Lissan said.- Nampa-APBut all sides – Sudan’s government, and Darfur’s two rebel movements – said they would abide by an African Union proposal to wait at least three weeks before any resumption of negotiations.Sudanese foreign minister Mustafa Osman Ismail rejected yesterday a revised UN Security Council draft resolution threatening to consider sanctions on Sudan over the situation in the troubled Darfur region.”This is imbalanced, unfair and we are rejecting it as we rejected the first draft,” Ismail told a news conference Last-round talks late Monday had focused on trying to get both sides to sign an accord on humanitarian access to an estimated 1,2 million refugees from Darfur’s conflict.The partial agreement would have represented the one clear success for the internationally brokered talks.But despite urging from the Nigerian president, Olusegun Obasanjo, who was hosting the talks, rebels of the Justice and Equity Movement said they would not sign the deal on access.”The president just intended to get us to sign the protocol.But for us it doesn’t make sense,” Lissan said.Sudan’s government blamed the rebels for the failure.”If they don’t sign” the humanitarian protocol, “then it’s their responsibility that the talks collapsed,” said Majzoub al-Khalifa Ahmad, one of the Sudanese government’s top negotiators at the talks.Leaders of the other rebel movement, the Sudan Liberation Army, yesterday morning were meeting privately about whether their faction would sign the humanitarian accord, Lissan said.- Nampa-AP

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News