Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Dippenaar murder trial postponed

JANDRE Dippenaar’s Swakopmund Regional Court trial in which he faces six counts of murder along with fraud and other charges in connection with a fatal car crash near Henties Bay in December 2014, has been postponed to July.

According to one of Dippenaar’s lawyers, Louis Botes, the matter could not continue this week because forensic experts from Johannesburg who investigated the accident scene required work permits, which take about two weeks to finalise, in order to testify.

In the meantime, accident survivor Antonia Joschko (17), who will eventually give evidence as a state witness, had to return to Germany on Saturday.

She was with her family on tour through Namibia when the car they were travelling in collided with Dippenaar’s vehicle, which had four occupants. The accident happened on 29 December 2014 about 12 kilometres south of Henties Bay.

Joschko lost her father, Markus Joschko (48), her mother Stephanie Joschko (49), and her sister Alexandra Joschko (19), in the accident.

Dippenaar was the only survivor from his vehicle. His passengers, Dinah Pretorius (30) from Gobabis, Charlene Schoombe (24) and JC Horn (27) from Windhoek, were all killed in the crash.

Dippenaar is being accused of driving recklessly and causing the crash, which he denies. He is charged with six counts of murder and charges of fraud, negligent and reckless driving, and driving without a valid driver’s licence.

Antonia Joschko, who was accompanied by her lawyer Eberhard Seybold during last week’s trial at Swakopmund, was not initionally summoned to testify, and no arrangements were made for her stay. In fact, she had arrived at the trial “unexpectedly”, according to Botes.

“We tried to accommodate the situation but because of the work permits that are required, we will have to postpone to a later date,” said Botes, suggesting she should be summoned to return to court in July.

Magistrate Gaynor Poulton said that the fact that Joschko arrived without being summoned, and that the issue with the work permits would take so long, could not be blamed on the state.

The magistrate officially summoned her to return to court and postponed the matter to 12 to 14 July for the expert witnesses’ testimony, and then again to 20 November to 1 December for the possible finalisation of the matter.

Last week, Dippenaar and relatives of the victims listened to several state witness testimonies related to Dippenaar’s alleged reckless driving between Walvis Bay and Swakopmund earlier on the day of the accident, his warning from the police and showing of a driving licence that may have been false, and of a transaction between Dippenaar and the Roads Authority for a driving licence application.

The last witness, who was the driver of a vehicle overtaken by Dippenaar’s shortly before the accident, related to the court the moments before the crash.

The state is accusing Dippenaar of fraudulently acquiring a driving licence, and that he did not have a valid licence.

Dippenaar pleaded not guilty to all the charges, maintaining that he had a valid permit, which he acquired legally, and that he could not remember anything from the accident, adding that he had done nothing to intentionally cause the accident or the deaths.

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News