Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Experts say Mayor spoke too soon

Experts say Mayor spoke too soon

NEW YORK – Law enforcement experts said New York City’s mayor spoke prematurely in saying police used “excessive force” in unleashing a 50-shot barrage that killed an unarmed man outside a strip club.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg labelled the shooting “unacceptable” and “inexplicable” while meeting Monday with community leaders and the victim’s family. But experts who have studied the use of deadly force by police said the confusing circumstances of the incident suggested the mayor’s conclusions were premature.The amount of firepower, they said, has been given too much emphasis.”The number of shots fired doesn’t mean anything, even though it seems a little shocking,” Jim Cohen, a professor of criminal law at Fordham Law School, said Tuesday.”We simply don’t have enough information to draw any conclusions.”The five shooters – four detectives and one police officer – have been placed on administrative leave during an investigation into the death of 23-year-old Sean Bell.Most of the shooters have remained silent, though lawyers and union officials have said at least some of them are eager to tell their side of the story to a grand jury.The undercover detective who was the first to open fire has made a statement through his lawyer, according to a report published Wednesday.Attorney Philip Karasyk told the Daily News that the detective, whose name was withheld, says he identified himself as a police officer and initially held his fire, even after being clipped by Bell’s car.Nampa-APBut experts who have studied the use of deadly force by police said the confusing circumstances of the incident suggested the mayor’s conclusions were premature.The amount of firepower, they said, has been given too much emphasis.”The number of shots fired doesn’t mean anything, even though it seems a little shocking,” Jim Cohen, a professor of criminal law at Fordham Law School, said Tuesday.”We simply don’t have enough information to draw any conclusions.”The five shooters – four detectives and one police officer – have been placed on administrative leave during an investigation into the death of 23-year-old Sean Bell.Most of the shooters have remained silent, though lawyers and union officials have said at least some of them are eager to tell their side of the story to a grand jury.The undercover detective who was the first to open fire has made a statement through his lawyer, according to a report published Wednesday.Attorney Philip Karasyk told the Daily News that the detective, whose name was withheld, says he identified himself as a police officer and initially held his fire, even after being clipped by Bell’s car.Nampa-AP

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News