Former Standard Bank employee Mario Santos, who has been accused of stealing N$1,7 million from his employer, has still not been released on bail after appearing in the Rundu Magistrate’s Court on Thursday.
Santos (33) is appealing against the court’s decision made last year to deny him bail. The accused made his first court appearance before magistrate Sonia Samupofu last October.
She denied him bail due to the seriousness of the offence, and fearing he may interfere with investigations.
Samupofu said Santos could also abscond, since the charges against him call for a heavy sentence.
The matter was postponed to 25 January this year, during which Santos made his second court appearance.
He was again refused bail.
In March this year, Santos appealed against the ruling.
“We are currently busy with his appeal against the bail refusal, which was launched in March this year, and once it’s ready, we will present our case concerning his bail,” his lawyer, Samson Enkali from Kadhila Amoomo Legal Practioners, said after the hearing.
The state indicated it is still busy with investigations, and the accused was remanded in custody until 18 July.
Santos was arrested on 24 October last year in connection with theft, fraud and money laundering.
He allegedly claimed and transferred unclaimed money, which was in the bank’s account and belonged to different clients, from 1 August 2021 to 31 August last year. These amounts totalled N$1 754 567,53.