Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Govt helping unemployed fishermen

Although fishing resources, particularly hake, were diminishing, the government was willing to give extra quotas to companies that employed the 1 500 fishermen who lost their jobs five years ago to make up for operational expenses.

This was said by fisheries and marine resources minister Derek Klazen on Friday morning when he signed the renewal of contracts for the re-employed fishermen under the Governmental Employment Redress Programme (Gerp) with companies and the Ministry of Labour, Industrial Relations and Employment Creation, at the ministry’s offices in Windhoek.

The labour ministry was represented by deputy minister Hafeni Ndemula.
Gerp is a Cabinet sanctioned initiative through the Ministry of Fisheries and Marine Resources to secure employment for hake fishermen who lost their jobs through retrenchments, abandonment and their participation in an illegal industrial action.

Klazen said the government decided to help the fishermen who have been unemployed for five years without any income but it is up to the companies employing them to work out the modalities of their employment.

They are paid N$4 000 a month whether they go to work or stay at home.

“Some of our citizens died during this process. They lost their possessions and because they were always hopeful that they would get back to their employment after so many years, the government came in to say let’s help these people,” he said.

He added that the fishermen must understand that their posts were filled when they lost their jobs and they cannot demand where they want to work but must act in line with the modalities of the companies employing them.

“One company might take in 250 of them but cannot give them all work on fishing vessels because each vessel takes in about 60 people. So the company might want to rotate them while others stay at home,” he said.

Klazen added that Namibia does not have fishing vessels of its own and those that come in may first have to be cleared by the European Union to ensure they were not involved in illegal fishing.

He said some of the vessels are Russian owned and could be under sanctions because of the war in Ukraine, and Namibia cannot make use of them.

“So, the process can take two to three months before companies wanting to employ fishermen can get the vessels,” he said. – email: matthew@namibian.com.na

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News