Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Grootfontein in dilemma over CEO charges

THE Grootfontein town council is said to be uncertain about dropping charges it instituted against its suspended chief executive officer.

A source at the town council, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told Nampa on Friday that the council had decided in November 2014 to drop the alleged sexual harassment charges it instituted against its suspended CEO, Charles Kariko, in 2013, due to insufficient evidence before the council.

Kariko allegedly had made several sexual advances towards a fellow female council employee at the beginning of 2013. The woman joined the council in January 2013 as Kariko’s personal assistant.

Kariko denied the allegations, but the council found it fit to suspend him for an internal investigation to take place.

However, according to a source, in November last year the council found that it had little evidence to support its case against Kariko and agreed to drop the charges against him.

Apparently, the council’s decision to withdraw the charges was never supported by a council resolution for it to be implemented.

The town mayor, Emma Taukuheke on Monday told Nampa in a telephonic interview that the charges against Kariko will not be dropped now, as the council’s lawyers are busy investigating.

“The case is still on, and I cannot disclose information to you because the council’s lawyers are working on it. I will call you once the case has been finalised,” Taukuheke said.

It is alleged the council continues to pay Kariko’s full salary while he is on suspension, while also paying the acting CEO, Martin le Roux. This, coupled with the fees for lawyers representing council on the matter since 2013, led to financial problems at the council.

The council’s public relations officer, Lukas Salomo, on Friday refused to talk about Kariko’s case, instead referring all questions to the acting CEO, who also refused to comment on the matter.

Taukuheke denies that the council faces financial problems due to the unexpected expenses brought about by Kariko’s case. She claims that the Grootfontein town council is financially well taken care off.

Kariko told Nampa on 27 February that the general public will be informed of the outcome of his case with the council once it has been finalised.

– Nampa

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News