Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Iran heads for showdown in nuclear row

Iran heads for showdown in nuclear row

TEHRAN – Iran appeared headed for a showdown at the UN Security Council next week over its nuclear programme, facing the threat of sanctions after failing to freeze key fuel cycle work.

Western nations reacted coolly to Iran’s response to a international offer of incentives in return for a halt to uranium enrichment, with the United States warning it fell short of UN demands and France insisting Tehran immediately suspend nuclear activities. However, fellow permanent Security Council members China and Russia have appealed for a peaceful solution to the long-running standoff.The Security Council adopted a resolution last month giving Iran until August 31 to freeze its uranium enrichment programme or face sanctions.The US State Department said Washington was still consulting with fellow Security Council members after Tehran said it was ready for talks but declined to announce a moratorium on enrichment.”We acknowledge that Iran considers its response as a serious offer, and we will review it,” spokesman Gonzalo Gallegos said.”The response, however, falls short of the conditions set by the Security Council, which require the full and verifiable suspension of all enrichment-related and reprocessing activities,” he said.Iran’s top nuclear negotiator Ali Larijani said Tuesday Tehran was ready for “serious talks” but no details were made public of its response to a package of trade, technology and security incentives offered by the five permanent Security Council members plus Germany.The United States and other powers suspect the nuclear programme is a smokescreen for an attempt to produce a bomb.Enrichment can make fuel for nuclear power stations or be extended to create the core of atomic weapons.However, Iran, the world’s fourth-largest oil producer, insists it is purely for peaceful power generation and that it has the right to the technology as a signatory of the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT).Government spokesman Gholamhossein Elham said Tehran was “waiting for a logical and just reaction from the major powers (but) we are ready to face any situation.Nampa-AFPHowever, fellow permanent Security Council members China and Russia have appealed for a peaceful solution to the long-running standoff.The Security Council adopted a resolution last month giving Iran until August 31 to freeze its uranium enrichment programme or face sanctions.The US State Department said Washington was still consulting with fellow Security Council members after Tehran said it was ready for talks but declined to announce a moratorium on enrichment.”We acknowledge that Iran considers its response as a serious offer, and we will review it,” spokesman Gonzalo Gallegos said.”The response, however, falls short of the conditions set by the Security Council, which require the full and verifiable suspension of all enrichment-related and reprocessing activities,” he said.Iran’s top nuclear negotiator Ali Larijani said Tuesday Tehran was ready for “serious talks” but no details were made public of its response to a package of trade, technology and security incentives offered by the five permanent Security Council members plus Germany.The United States and other powers suspect the nuclear programme is a smokescreen for an attempt to produce a bomb.Enrichment can make fuel for nuclear power stations or be extended to create the core of atomic weapons.However, Iran, the world’s fourth-largest oil producer, insists it is purely for peaceful power generation and that it has the right to the technology as a signatory of the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT).Government spokesman Gholamhossein Elham said Tehran was “waiting for a logical and just reaction from the major powers (but) we are ready to face any situation.Nampa-AFP

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News