Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Iraq seeks talks on Turkey threats

Iraq seeks talks on Turkey threats

BAGHDAD – Iraq’s Sunni Vice President Tariq al-Hashemi arrived in Ankara yesterday in an apparent bid to persuade Turkey not to stage a cross-border offensive to fight separatist Kurdish rebels based in the mountainous border region.

Meanwhile, a car bomb exploded near an Iraqi army checkpoint in Baghdad yesterday, killing at least six people and sending black smoke billowing into the sky. The Iraqi government also reiterated its call to Turkey to join it in an urgent dialogue and to seek a diplomatic solution to the crisis instead of a military one.Ali al-Dabbagh, the spokesman for Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, said the government would not tolerate violence from the separatist rebels but he urged the Turks to ‘seek a diplomatic solution and not a military one in dealing with the terrorist threats that target it’.Washington has pressed Nato-ally Turkey not to enter Iraq, fearing that unilateral Turkish military action could destabilise the autonomous Kurdish region in the north which is one of the country’s few relatively stable areas.The Kurds are a longtime US ally.The explosives-laden car was parked near a gas station across the street from the checkpoint on Saadoun Street when it blew up just before noon, according to police and army officials.The officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren’t authorised to release the information, said four civilians and two Iraqi soldiers were killed and 25 people were wounded, including 19 civilians.Flames shot out from a military pickup with an Iraqi flag painted on the side as ambulances raced to the scene, driving past a long concrete barrier that recently was decorated with murals by local artists in an attempt to beautify the city.The blast was the latest in a series of car bombings to strike the capital despite stringent security measures in place as part of US-Iraqi military operations and celebrations marking the end of the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.Nobody claimed responsibility for the attack, but it bore the hallmarks of Sunni insurgents, particularly al Qaeda in Iraq.A car bomb also exploded in western Baghdad’s religiously mixed Harthiyah neighborhood on Monday night, killing at least six people and wounding 25, police said.Most of the victims were among families on their way home after spending the day in a nearby amusement park for Eid al-Fitr, the festival that marks the end of Ramadan.The vehicle apparently was left on a side street with several other cars to avoid a parking ban on the capital’s main streets designed to prevent such bombings.Nampa-APThe Iraqi government also reiterated its call to Turkey to join it in an urgent dialogue and to seek a diplomatic solution to the crisis instead of a military one.Ali al-Dabbagh, the spokesman for Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, said the government would not tolerate violence from the separatist rebels but he urged the Turks to ‘seek a diplomatic solution and not a military one in dealing with the terrorist threats that target it’.Washington has pressed Nato-ally Turkey not to enter Iraq, fearing that unilateral Turkish military action could destabilise the autonomous Kurdish region in the north which is one of the country’s few relatively stable areas.The Kurds are a longtime US ally.The explosives-laden car was parked near a gas station across the street from the checkpoint on Saadoun Street when it blew up just before noon, according to police and army officials.The officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren’t authorised to release the information, said four civilians and two Iraqi soldiers were killed and 25 people were wounded, including 19 civilians.Flames shot out from a military pickup with an Iraqi flag painted on the side as ambulances raced to the scene, driving past a long concrete barrier that recently was decorated with murals by local artists in an attempt to beautify the city.The blast was the latest in a series of car bombings to strike the capital despite stringent security measures in place as part of US-Iraqi military operations and celebrations marking the end of the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.Nobody claimed responsibility for the attack, but it bore the hallmarks of Sunni insurgents, particularly al Qaeda in Iraq.A car bomb also exploded in western Baghdad’s religiously mixed Harthiyah neighborhood on Monday night, killing at least six people and wounding 25, police said.Most of the victims were among families on their way home after spending the day in a nearby amusement park for Eid al-Fitr, the festival that marks the end of Ramadan.The vehicle apparently was left on a side street with several other cars to avoid a parking ban on the capital’s main streets designed to prevent such bombings.Nampa-AP

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News