THE Katima Mulilo Town Council has provided 812 plots next to Nova base for the relocation of residents who have illegally settled on town land earmarked for developmental projects.
Two years ago, the Katima Mulilo Town Council demolished houses of residents who had illegally settled in Cowboy, Dairy and Lwanyanda compounds.
During that time, the Liselo sub-khuta under the Mafwe Traditional Authority claimed the town council did not have any right to move the people since the land belonged to the traditional authority.
However, the same traditional authority last week, signed an agreement with the Katima Mulilo Town Council acknowledging that the disputed land, indeed belonged to the town council and this has resulted in the relocation of these people.
The chief executive officer of Katima Mulilo, Raphael Liswaniso, revealed plans for the relocation of the squatters to yesterday.
He said they have already relocated approximately 129 people.
“About 600 plots are still available and ready for allocation targeting those who are living in Lwanyanda settlement first. The people from Lwanyanda settlement are fewer than 300 so they will all be relocated to the new plots,” he said.
Liswaniso noted that the town council has already provided a 10 000-litre water tank for the new compound, while they are having talks with NamWater to provide water to the new compound. Additionally the town council will supply four more 10 000-litre water tanks, which will have enough water for more than 5 000 people for two days in the event there is no supply in town.
Despite all the efforts by the town council to accommodate the land grabbers, the Lwanyanda residents are not keen on being relocated. The residents held a peaceful demonstration last Thursday against the council’s decision to have them relocated, and they accused the Mafwe Traditional Authority of defrauding them.
In a petition read by Bendict Chilinda, the group stated that about 3 000 households paid N$3 500,25 each to the Mafwe Traditional Authority (MTA), which adds to N$10 500 750 for the plots they are living on.
“This is fraud. Why did the MTA force us to pay them for the plots, knowing very well that the land does not belong to them.
“We are now in the hands of the town council, who [are] forcing us to move, as they will provide plots for us,” the petition reads.
The group claims the proposed site of relocation is unsafe and far from major amenities.
“It [the site] is 15 kilometres from [the] town, next to the cemetery, and since it was an army base previously, we are at risk of undetonated explosives,” the petition read.
The group has since called for the removal of Katima Mulilo Town Council chief executive officer Raphael Liswaniso and compensation for their houses which were demolished in 2017.
Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for
only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!