Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Mengo decides to keep coaching staff

Mengo decides to keep coaching staff

LIVERPOOL boss Oscar Mengo has given his coaching staff, except former coach Abdul Abrahams, another chance to try to train the club in winning ways after threatening to fire them all yesterday.

Mengo on Sunday said his coaching staff would be shown the door after Liverpool’s humiliating 11-0 loss to Blue Waters in the Sam Nujoma Cup match over the weekend. At a meeting on Monday night, Mengo reached a consensus with his coaching staff that they would all remain in their positions for now, until certain areas of concern have been attended to.The trio, who were to be axed, were chief organiser Bobby Kotjipati, assistant coach Mbanjanda Nguvauva and team manager Puschi Tjaveondja.Mengo yesterday confirmed that they had decided to first get the team out of the relegation zone and to solicit funding, as the club is currently cash-strapped.”We agreed that we should first fight the relegation battle and seriously look at the sponsorship aspect since we don’t have the funds to run the club efficiently,” he said.Mengo said Nguvauva had currently offered himself as coach, but his appointment still needed to be confirmed.”We will have another meeting to look at who should take over the team as coach from now on,” he said.At this stage, The Namibian Sport has established that former African Stars player Rasta Mbuende is in the running for Liverpool’s coaching job.Kotjipati, when contacted yesterday, said they had also agreed to consult former players such as Bimbo Tjihero and others to assist the team in their quest to become a force in the league.However, he admitted that the organisation of the team was poor since the lack of funds made it difficult for them to perform.He claimed that, at times, he had to use his own money to help out with travelling costs when they were playing away from home.Tjihero, a former Brave Warriors member and senior player of the club, said he was willing to assist the club in any way.”When the club sinks to such low levels, we are willing to step in and correct the wrongs,” he said.He said he had discussions with Mengo were aimed at putting in place a credible coach and assistant who would be tasked with bringing glory back to the side.Tjihero said the resignation of Abrahams on Monday was also in the best interest of the team.”It is simple – if you don’t produce results, you leave.I think it was in his own interest to leave the club before being fired,” he said.Liverpool is currently placed second from the bottom of the list of premier league clubs and has so far being knocked out of the NFA Cup and the Sam Nujoma Cup.These trophies could have earned the team the needed funds if they had done better.Liverpool was the league champions in the 2001/2002 season and has lost eight matches of their 12 league encounters thus far.They have conceded 37 goals and only have 8 points to their credit.At a meeting on Monday night, Mengo reached a consensus with his coaching staff that they would all remain in their positions for now, until certain areas of concern have been attended to.The trio, who were to be axed, were chief organiser Bobby Kotjipati, assistant coach Mbanjanda Nguvauva and team manager Puschi Tjaveondja.Mengo yesterday confirmed that they had decided to first get the team out of the relegation zone and to solicit funding, as the club is currently cash-strapped.”We agreed that we should first fight the relegation battle and seriously look at the sponsorship aspect since we don’t have the funds to run the club efficiently,” he said.Mengo said Nguvauva had currently offered himself as coach, but his appointment still needed to be confirmed.”We will have another meeting to look at who should take over the team as coach from now on,” he said.At this stage, The Namibian Sport has established that former African Stars player Rasta Mbuende is in the running for Liverpool’s coaching job.Kotjipati, when contacted yesterday, said they had also agreed to consult former players such as Bimbo Tjihero and others to assist the team in their quest to become a force in the league.However, he admitted that the organisation of the team was poor since the lack of funds made it difficult for them to perform.He claimed that, at times, he had to use his own money to help out with travelling costs when they were playing away from home.Tjihero, a former Brave Warriors member and senior player of the club, said he was willing to assist the club in any way.”When the club sinks to such low levels, we are willing to step in and correct the wrongs,” he said.He said he had discussions with Mengo were aimed at putting in place a credible coach and assistant who would be tasked with bringing glory back to the side.Tjihero said the resignation of Abrahams on Monday was also in the best interest of the team.”It is simple – if you don’t produce results, you leave.I think it was in his own interest to leave the club before being fired,” he said.Liverpool is currently placed second from the bottom of the list of premier league clubs and has so far being knocked out of the NFA Cup and the Sam Nujoma Cup.These trophies could have earned the team the needed funds if they had done better.Liverpool was the league champions in the 2001/2002 season and has lost eight matches of their 12 league encounters thus far.They have conceded 37 goals and only have 8 points to their credit.

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News