Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Namibian rugby team gears for Zambia clash

Namibian rugby team gears for Zambia clash

THE Namibian rugby side will go into its encounter with Zambia on Saturday with renewed vigour after authorities addressed most of the players’ concerns.

The team which is expected to face Zambia in an Africa Cup match in Ndola, south of Zambia on Saturday, has been described as focused and well prepared despite the recent squabbles that threatened to derail the squad’s preparations. The Namibia Rugby Union (NRU) had to reverse its decision of accepting the resignations of both Danie and Gielie Vermeulen as coach and assistant coach of the national team last week.The NRU initially installed Jakkals Pretorius and Christo Alexander as the replacements for the Vermeulen brothers, but they (Pretorius and Alexander) were removed again, after the executive reached an agreement with the Vermeulens.The team was also left with no technical staff as most followed the two coaches, while there was also a debacle whether trials for the selection of the national side should be held or not.The trials later took place.At the moment, the NRU is currently having Eden Meyer as the acting Chief Executive Officer, after Nickey Bekker resigned, citing personal reasons.The newly appointed Team Manager, Sarel Losper, told The Namibian Sport yesterday that all these developments have not affected the preparations of the team so far.”We are on track and we are very happy with the preparations so far.We will have our last practice session tomorrow (Wednesday), before we depart on Thursday afternoon.We are absolutely not concerned at what happened in the past, as it is now under control,” he said.He said the players had responded well to training and that they were eager to meet their counterparts who are not regarded as a strong force in rugby among southern African countries.”We initially had a squad that we worked with before all this drama of changing the coaching staff, so we think we are still on course and we hope to come back with a good result,” said the former Namibian number eight.Asked about the problem areas they concentrated on at training, Losper confidently said they were not struggling in any area and their combinations had also worked out well so far.”Although we have seven players who will make their debuts on test level this weekend, we did not have areas we struggled with or that we had to work on time and and again to perfect,” he said.POWELL OUTNamibian captain Corne Powell has been ruled out of the tour to Zambia, while Jood Oppermann and Koos Agenbach have also been replaced by other players as they have now retired.Losper said Powell, who deputised Sean Further at the 2003 Rugby World Cup, cannot leave due to work commitments.He will be replaced by the young Roger Thompson of Western Suburbs, who will also be one of the new entrants into the senior side.Assistant coach Gielie Vermeulen said he was also happy with the way the players responded to the various tactics and methods of training.”I can tell you that the preparations went well and we are just looking forward to beat the Zambians,” he said.Vermeulen said they had resolved their problems with the NRU and was now looking ahead to an improved working relationship with the union bosses.Namibia will play their second match against Kenya towards the end of August.The squad: Robert Dedig, Ivan Gaya*, Cor van Tonder, Rene Kruger, Tom Gouws, Rheeder van Wyk*, Domingo Kamonga, JJ Husselman, Herman Lintvelt, Schalk van der Merwe, Jurie van Tonder, Pieter Rossouw*, Morne Schreuder, Rian van Wyk, Roger Thompson*, Du Preez Grobler, Jaco Kotze, Hendrik Meyer*, Neil Swanepoel, Ryan Witbooi*, Morris Kapitako and Jacques Burger*.* Did not play at Test level beforeThe Namibia Rugby Union (NRU) had to reverse its decision of accepting the resignations of both Danie and Gielie Vermeulen as coach and assistant coach of the national team last week.The NRU initially installed Jakkals Pretorius and Christo Alexander as the replacements for the Vermeulen brothers, but they (Pretorius and Alexander) were removed again, after the executive reached an agreement with the Vermeulens.The team was also left with no technical staff as most followed the two coaches, while there was also a debacle whether trials for the selection of the national side should be held or not.The trials later took place.At the moment, the NRU is currently having Eden Meyer as the acting Chief Executive Officer, after Nickey Bekker resigned, citing personal reasons.The newly appointed Team Manager, Sarel Losper, told The Namibian Sport yesterday that all these developments have not affected the preparations of the team so far.”We are on track and we are very happy with the preparations so far.We will have our last practice session tomorrow (Wednesday), before we depart on Thursday afternoon.We are absolutely not concerned at what happened in the past, as it is now under control,” he said.He said the players had responded well to training and that they were eager to meet their counterparts who are not regarded as a strong force in rugby among southern African countries.”We initially had a squad that we worked with before all this drama of changing the coaching staff, so we think we are still on course and we hope to come back with a good result,” said the former Namibian number eight.Asked about the problem areas they concentrated on at training, Losper confidently said they were not struggling in any area and their combinations had also worked out well so far.”Although we have seven players who will make their debuts on test level this weekend, we did not have areas we struggled with or that we had to work on time and and again to perfect,” he said.POWELL OUTNamibian captain Corne Powell has been ruled out of the tour to Zambia, while Jood Oppermann and Koos Agenbach have also been replaced by other players as they have now retired.Losper said Powell, who deputised Sean Further at the 2003 Rugby World Cup, cannot leave due to work commitments.He will be replaced by the young Roger Thompson of Western Suburbs, who will also be one of the new entrants into the senior side.Assistant coach Gielie Vermeulen said he was also happy with the way the players responded to the various tactics and methods of training.”I can tell you that the preparations went well and we are just looking forward to beat the Zambians,” he said.Vermeulen said they had resolved their problems with the NRU and was now looking ahead to an improved working relationship with the union bosses.Namibia will play their second match against Kenya towards the end of August.The squad: Robert Dedig, Ivan Gaya*, Cor van Tonder, Rene Kruger, Tom Gouws, Rheeder van Wyk*, Domingo Kamonga, JJ Husselman, Herman Lintvelt, Schalk van der Merwe, Jurie van Tonder, Pieter Rossouw*, Morne Schreuder, Rian van Wyk, Roger Thompson*, Du Preez Grobler, Jaco Kotze, Hendrik Meyer*, Neil Swanepoel, Ryan Witbooi*, Morris Kapitako and Jacques Burger*.* Did not play at Test level before

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News