Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

President’s daughter hits back at Dubai trip critic

Nangula Geingos

The president’s daughter, Nangula Geingos, has spoken out against political analyst Joseph Diescho, who criticised the first couple for taking their children and grandson to Dubai for the 28th Conference of the Parties (COP28).

President Hage Geingob and first lady Monica Geingos are facing backlash over travelling with their four children and grandson to COP28, which started on 27 November and will run until 10 December.

The children who travelled with the couple are Kayla Elago, Nino Kalondo, Dangos Geingos, Nangula Geingob, and her son.

“Joe Diescho continues to demonstrate just how out of touch with reality he really is. As first children in Namibia, whatever that means, we are not entitled to any state benefits – not security, transportation, medical, allowances, etc,” Nangula posted on Facebook this week.

Diescho on Tuesday said the children of the first couple cannot travel “like that” without incurring state costs, such as for their transport and security detail wherever they go.

“That is standard, and Hengari cannot be correct with his assertion that taxpayers did not bear the costs. That is why the Obama daughters were hardly part of any presidential travel – because they are to be protected,” he said.

Read the full story in our Friday edition.

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News