Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Rail passengers stranded

Rail passengers stranded

ABOUT 55 passengers, including children and an elderly woman, last week had a nightmare train journey after they were left stranded for almost 10 hours between Windhoek and Keetmanshoop.

The train had broken down at round midnight in the veld near Tsumis Park.Passengers travelling to Keetmanshoop only reached their destination on Thursday at 16h00, after having left Windhoek on Wednesday at 19h00. The breakdown also delayed another passenger train running in the opposite direction, resulting in passengers arriving at Windhoek on Thursday at 13h45 after its departure on Wednesday at around 17h00. Passenger Sandra Dreyer said they were assured that a bus would be sent to collect them so that they could continue their journey, but this did not happen. According to Dreyer, after being stranded for eight hours in the veld the train resumed the journey, but again broke down near Kalkrand station. Venting her frustration over the delay, Dreyer said: ‘To make things worse, we were not told anything why the train had stopped running. We ran out of food, and some of us were with children. I want them [TransNamib] to refund me my train fare of N$150.’ Reacting to the delay, TransNamib’s Elaine Claasen said a defective battery had caused the train to stop running.’It could not proceed from Tsumis Park, and another locomotive from Keetmanshoop, which was at Narib at that time, proceeded to Tsumis Park to assist. However, this locomotive also experienced vacuum and ventilation problems,’ Claasen added.Asked how frequently train locomotives are serviced to prevent technical glitches during a journey, Claasen responded: ‘Locomotives are serviced 36 hours prior to any trip.’Claasen said the passengers on the train to Keetmanshoop were given food and water and disembarked at Twilight siding before being transported to their destinations by bus. The passengers on the train to Windhoek were also given food and water at the Rehoboth station, said Claasen.Claasen apologised to those who were affected by the delay and said TransNamib values their clients.

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News