Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

‘Special One’ eyes bigger fight

THE prospects are looking good for new junior lightweight national champion Flaim ‘Special One’ Nangolo (20) and his fellow budding boxers, says African Connection Promotions founder Immanuel Moses.

The Cosmos High School Grade 12 pupil brought the curtain down on a decent year of Namibian boxing with a commanding points victory over experienced former African champion Abraham ‘Energy’ Ndaendapo (39).

Nangolo dominated the fight from start to finish, showing impressive maturity belying his tender age to steal the show in the AC Boxing’s Rising Stars bill’s main event at the NamPower Convention Centre in Windhoek on Friday night.

“Special One showed the world he’s a future world champion, as you saw what he did to Abraham Ndaendapo. He put up a very good boxing clinic on him,” Moses says.

Nangolo improved to 8-0, with Ndaendapo dropping to 17-8.

“I worked so hard to be here. I just went in there and displayed my skills. I couldn’t hurt the guy, because my hands are messed up,” says Nangolo, who injured his knuckles in the middle rounds.

He says he is ready to take on more challenging assignments abroad.

Ndaendapo proved to be anything but challenging on the night. His powers have visibly waned since challenging Russian Roman Andreev for the World Boxing Organisation Intercontinental lightweight title in 2017 and losing on points.

“I’ve been calling out these guys, but nobody wanted to answer the call. Forget about those guys. They are not worth talking about. They keep running, we keep moving. We keep doing what we’re doing,” Nangolo says.

“I’m the national champion now, so you know what’s next – it’s the bigger one.”

His mentor, Moses, agrees.

The next step for Nangolo, the nephew of ex-WBA lightweight world champion Paulus ‘The Hitman’ Moses, is fighting for continental titles.

The same is true for undefeated Harry Simon Junior, following a comfortable stoppage of Steven Shimbonde in their welterweight bout on Friday.

“I think we have very promising boxers at AC Promotions. For Flaim Nangolo and Harry Simon Jr, we expect them to fight for WBO Africa or other belts from other sanctioning bodies that are available,” Moses says.

“You look at Harry Simon Junior, he showed his skill, took his time, and made Steven Shimbonde quit,” he says.

“Then we have Mosquito [Shaanika Alfeus], who came in and showed us his skills against Edison ‘Bulelo’ Nghipondoka. Our other prospect, Ruaan [Rispel], also got his second win.

“Then we had Usko Rehabeam and Hafeni Ngesheya, who also won.”

Rispel beat Shikukutu Jona on points in their lightweight clash, with Alfeus outclassing Nghipondoka to score a points victory in a welterweight bout.

Ngesheya knocked out Simeon Varde Ndayambekwa in a lightweight contest.

“These young guys came in and made it look easy. When you watch these kids fighting, you can see their hunger and skill. This is what the fans want to see,” Moses says.

“The event went well. It was really tough to put it together, as most corporates are already on holiday. So, we’re looking forward to 2022. It will be a big year for us. Hopefully we’ll get a [substantive] sponsor.”

The tournament was made possible with the support of Tokai Logistics, MTC, TNl Logistics, Hotel Destiny, NamPower, and Profile Investments Holdings.

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News