Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Thousands homeless in DRC as rebels seize stronghold

Thousands homeless in DRC as rebels seize stronghold

KINSHASA – Rebels in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) clawed back control of a stronghold in the northeastern Ituri region from government forces in fierce fighting that drove 5 000 people from their homes, the United Nations mission here said on Wednesday.

Between 400 and 600 fighters of the Ituri Patriotic Resistance Force attacked their former stronghold of Tchei, some 80 kilometres southwest of the regional capital Bunia, the UN mission, known as MONUC, said. Around 30 soldiers of the DRC army (FARDC) were wounded between June 29 and July 2 while “dozens of militia members were killed in the fighting”, the military spokesman for the UN mission, Stephane Lescoffit, told a news conference here.The UN mission sent armoured vehicles and fighter helicopters which fired 33 rockets at the militias to halt their advance, he said, adding that two attack helicopters carried out further “light arms fire, without damage”.In the Tchei offensive, at least 5 000 civilians were driven from their homes and sought refuge in Bunia.MONUC deputy spokesman Jean-Tobie Okala said the number could reach 55 000 if the fighting continued.The UN force meanwhile was preparing for further violence.”MONUC troops are reinforcing their positions in order to be ready to support the FARDC in their actions against the militias,” Lescoffit said.A company of 150 South African UN troops was also stationed at Kagaba, around 20 kilometres from Tchei, he added.MONUC has told its workers not to travel in the area south of Bunia, where heavy arms fire was heard on Monday night.Militias have stepped up attacks on army forces loyal to the government since May in the war-torn region, where inter-ethnic clashes have left an estimated 60 000 people dead since 1999.More than 15 000 militia fighters laid down their arms in Ituri in 2005, but the UN mission says some 2 000 fighters continue to sow terror there, preventing 200 000 displaced villagers from returning home.- Nampa-AAround 30 soldiers of the DRC army (FARDC) were wounded between June 29 and July 2 while “dozens of militia members were killed in the fighting”, the military spokesman for the UN mission, Stephane Lescoffit, told a news conference here.The UN mission sent armoured vehicles and fighter helicopters which fired 33 rockets at the militias to halt their advance, he said, adding that two attack helicopters carried out further “light arms fire, without damage”.In the Tchei offensive, at least 5 000 civilians were driven from their homes and sought refuge in Bunia.MONUC deputy spokesman Jean-Tobie Okala said the number could reach 55 000 if the fighting continued.The UN force meanwhile was preparing for further violence.”MONUC troops are reinforcing their positions in order to be ready to support the FARDC in their actions against the militias,” Lescoffit said.A company of 150 South African UN troops was also stationed at Kagaba, around 20 kilometres from Tchei, he added.MONUC has told its workers not to travel in the area south of Bunia, where heavy arms fire was heard on Monday night.Militias have stepped up attacks on army forces loyal to the government since May in the war-torn region, where inter-ethnic clashes have left an estimated 60 000 people dead since 1999.More than 15 000 militia fighters laid down their arms in Ituri in 2005, but the UN mission says some 2 000 fighters continue to sow terror there, preventing 200 000 displaced villagers from returning home.- Nampa-A

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News