Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Trump clears 18 months’ uranium uncertainty

NAMIBIAN uranium mines have expressed relief following the United States president’s announcement last Friday that he had rejected a call to source about 25% supplies from within their own borders.

USA uranium resident companies had called on the president to force US consuming operations to source at least 25% of needs from within the country, clouding it with the fear that yellow cake imports are, to an extent, a threat to national security.

President Donald Trump, however, shot down the idea, saying he did not observe concerns on threats to national security yet.

“At this time, I do not concur with the secretary’s finding that uranium imports threaten to impair the national security of the United States as defined under section 232 of the act,” he stated.

Reacting to the statement, Namibia Uranium Association executive director Gabi Schneider said the decision is good news for local mining companies.

“It is indeed good news for Namibia, as we have several projects in the pipeline which can come to fruition when the uranium price increases, and which will then need a market for their product,” she observed.

She added that since the US is the largest consumer of nuclear fuel, a 25% reduction in the market would have had a negative impact on the marketability of Namibian uranium in that country.

“However, it still remains to be seen what the recommendations of the working group on nuclear fuel, which Trump has put in place, will be. These recommendations are expected in three months. Hopefully, the recommendations will create a win-win situation for uranium-producing countries and the US,” Schneider said.

Barnerman Resources Limited’s chief executive officer Brandon Munro said the company is set to benefit from the opened US market.

“We welcome the strong and decisive resolution of the section 232 trade investigations, which has been a distraction to the uranium sector for 18 months,” he stated, adding that the decision maintains open access to the American uranium market, and is particularly positive for non-USA companies.

On behalf of Langer Heinrich, Paladin Energy released a statement welcoming Trump’s decision. Chief executive officer Scott Sullivan said it was good news for them, and they expect uranium prices to normalise.

“Since the petition was lodged early last year, we have seen a reluctance by both American and non-USA utilities to enter long-term off-take agreements with producers, and instead they have drawn down their inventories, which has contributed to suppressed uranium prices,” he added.

“Now that we have president Trump’s decision on the petition, and have finally removed the uncertainty that has prevailed in the market, we expect a normalisation of the market to follow and the strengthening of prices, moving forward,” he said.

According to the World Nuclear Association, Namibia has significant uranium mines capable of providing 10% of the world’s mining output.

Email: lazarus@namibian.com.na

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News