Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Unam scam: aggrieved Angolans say ‘not us’

Unam scam: aggrieved Angolans say ‘not us’

ABOUT 30 Angolans, among 174 students expelled from the University of Namibia (Unam) at the end of last year over a certificate scam, have demanded that the investigation be re-opened.

The group claims they were unfairly dismissed and that Unam did not produce any evidence against them. “Police investigators came up with 52 names of students who were involved in that scam.We were not on that list but Unam just targeted all of us because we are Angolans,” charged a spokesperson for the group, who wished to remain anonymous.The University said its decision to de-register the 174 students was based on an extensive internal audit, by the Office of the Registrar, of its admission process.The aggrieved students told The Namibian they were not aware of their expulsion until early this month when they returned from holiday in their country, “only to find letters in our mail saying that we had been de-registered”.The letter from the Office of the Registrar stated: “The executive committee of the Senate has requested that your studies at Unam be cancelled with immediate effect and all courses passed at Unam declared null and void and of no academic value for future admission to this or any other university”.But the students are adamant that their Grade 12 qualifications are “genuine”.They want the investigation to be re-opened so that experts from the Angolan Education Ministry can be brought in to verify their results.Unam Director of Communication and Marketing, Edwin Tjiramba, said the institution was willing to open the individual files of expelled students and to explain the action taken against every individual.”We don’t want a group approach because some elements will try to hide behind the group,” Tjiramba said.A total of 165 Angolans and nine Namibians students were de-registered on December 17.Unam said they had false Grade 12 qualifications.Unam and the Police launched an investigation after The Namibian disclosed in August how a large number of Angolan students had been using fake Grade 12 qualifications to study at the institution for several years.Available information at the time pointed to the existence of a syndicate that allegedly sold fake Angolan “matric” certificates with inflated pass marks so that students could gain access to the university.The culprits apparently presented certified copies of Angolan certificates or declarations issued in lieu of lost certificates purported to have been issued by the Angolan Ministry of Education.The original documents were in Portuguese, but were translated into English and certified as true copies by the Angolan Embassy in Windhoek.So far one person, believed to be one of the masterminds behind the scam, has been arrested and charged with the crime.Meanwhile, Unam has announced stricter measures for the admission of students.All prospective students whose medium of instruction at secondary education level was not English will now be required to enrol for and pass a special course in English at an advanced level; foreigners who completed their Grade 12 through non-Namibian examination systems will only be admitted on presenting an original certificate issued by the relevant authority.”Police investigators came up with 52 names of students who were involved in that scam. We were not on that list but Unam just targeted all of us because we are Angolans,” charged a spokesperson for the group, who wished to remain anonymous. The University said its decision to de-register the 174 students was based on an extensive internal audit, by the Office of the Registrar, of its admission process. The aggrieved students told The Namibian they were not aware of their expulsion until early this month when they returned from holiday in their country, “only to find letters in our mail saying that we had been de-registered”. The letter from the Office of the Registrar stated: “The executive committee of the Senate has requested that your studies at Unam be cancelled with immediate effect and all courses passed at Unam declared null and void and of no academic value for future admission to this or any other university”. But the students are adamant that their Grade 12 qualifications are “genuine”. They want the investigation to be re-opened so that experts from the Angolan Education Ministry can be brought in to verify their results. Unam Director of Communication and Marketing, Edwin Tjiramba, said the institution was willing to open the individual files of expelled students and to explain the action taken against every individual. “We don’t want a group approach because some elements will try to hide behind the group,” Tjiramba said. A total of 165 Angolans and nine Namibians students were de-registered on December 17. Unam said they had false Grade 12 qualifications. Unam and the Police launched an investigation after The Namibian disclosed in August how a large number of Angolan students had been using fake Grade 12 qualifications to study at the institution for several years. Available information at the time pointed to the existence of a syndicate that allegedly sold fake Angolan “matric” certificates with inflated pass marks so that students could gain access to the university. The culprits apparently presented certified copies of Angolan certificates or declarations issued in lieu of lost certificates purported to have been issued by the Angolan Ministry of Education. The original documents were in Portuguese, but were translated into English and certified as true copies by the Angolan Embassy in Windhoek. So far one person, believed to be one of the masterminds behind the scam, has been arrested and charged with the crime. Meanwhile, Unam has announced stricter measures for the admission of students. All prospective students whose medium of instruction at secondary education level was not English will now be required to enrol for and pass a special course in English at an advanced level; foreigners who completed their Grade 12 through non-Namibian examination systems will only be admitted on presenting an original certificate issued by the relevant authority.

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News